Sunday, October 20, 2013

A day in the medina at Fez, Morocco


A day in the medina at Fez, Morocco
11 August 2013


We went on a walking tour around medina with a guide suggested by the riad (riad verus). The man at the riad explains that it’s a 3-hour walking tour and the price is 150dh for the three of us. And if we decided to spend more time with the guide, we’ll have to pay more.

So we walked around the medina. It’s a good thing that we used a guide. Otherwise, we will be totally lost. The idea of getting lost in the medina is intriguing but we just don’t have time to get lost :P

The guide took us to see some restaurants with beautiful interior, some mosques, and of course many shops. I already told the man at the riad that we don’t want to go to the carpet shop. And he said ‘’of course, we don’t do that’’. The guide didn’t take us to the carpet shop indeed, instead he took us to many other shops, a non-carpet shops (sigh). We are not the shopping type. The first two shops was fine for me, and then it’s just keep getting iritating. I know that we could just say no and walk away, but the salesman makes us feel bad if we say no. So I end up buying a scarf (just one, thank God).



tannery

tannery

It was already 3-hour walk when we finished at the tannery. I didn’t say anything to the guide coz I thought there might be something else interesting to see. The guide didn’t say anything to us either. I know it in my mind that the guide would ask more money from us.

Anyway, after the tannery, he took us to a shop selling herb oils (which we are not interested in at all). And he offered us to go to another shop (I forgot what shop) which we immediately declined. And then he offered us to have lunch at a restaurant which supposedly sells the best couscous in town. Thank God we also said no to this. We said we just want to get back to our riad because we are tired. I was wondering how much is he going to charge us.


the guide

He stops just near the riad. And when I gave him 200dh (the deal was 150dh, we want to give extra 50dh to him), he said it wasn’t enough, he wants another 50dh. So I argued with him (I know its useless, but I just want to show him that I wasn’t happy). I told him he should’ve said something after the 3-hour has passed. And he said bla bla bla bla bla.

Anyway, I kinda know this would happen (after all the review I read about morocco and after I watch scam city in nat geo adventure, haha). But what makes me a little bit dissapointed is that because we got the guide from our riad (Riad Verus). And later when I told the owner (a woman named leonora), she said that we paid a good price (250dh). Mmm.. I thought I read somewhere that even an unofficial guide only cost 50-100dh. Well....


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For Morocco travel info, please click here


No comments: