Sunday, May 31, 2020

manado trip - welcomed by an earthquake

13 - 15 nov 2019
manado

I've been to manado several times. little did I know that this visit will be a memorable one, in kinda frightening way :P

5pm, 13 nov 2019
check in at four points hotel in manado.
for my previous visit to four points manado in 2017, please see: https://ritaaza.blogspot.com/2018/03/four-points-hotel-manado.html






11am, 14 nov 2019
at the meeting room of four points manado
doing what we came here to do





8.12pm, 14 nov 2019
dinner at afisha





around midnight, 15 nov 2019
I was awaken from my sleep because my bed was shaking and making noises. the window was also making noises. it took me a few seconds before I realize it was an earthquake. My first thought was to wait it out. But when it didn't stop after a few more seconds, I tried to get off the bed and change my pants and find my wallet and phone. I couldn't stand without holding on to the wall. I was so scared coz I'm alone and I've never experienced an earthquake this big. I think my room was in the 7th floor. I can't imagine if my room was located at a higher floor.  The earthquake was M 7.1!   

so I got out of my room and worked my way through the emergency exit. the debris are everywhere and some people were starting to panicked because there's a tsunami alert. some of us find our way to our office in the city because it was in a higher ground (the hotel was at the seaside). we waited for a few hours and then we went back to the hotel at around 2.30am.



the emergency exit

the lift area


around 3am, 15 nov 2019
back in my room, I just laid on the bed with my eyes wide open because the never-ending aftershocks. it was nerve-wracking. some of my colleagues decided to reschedule their flight and fly back to jakarta early in the morning. My flight was in the afternoon and I didn't rescheduled it. I've made a plan to visit tomohon area and I'm going to stick to my plan :D

so I checked out early in the morning, had breakfast at rumah kopi tikala and went straight to tomohon. first stop was the extreme market. 

I had nausea the entire day. is it because of the endless aftershocks or is it because the winding road to tomohon? I don't know.



















For the rest of our tomohon trip after the big earthquake, please see here

For Manado travel info, please click here

Follow me on Instagram @rita.san



No comments: